Classroom Snapshot Video

Our class was recently invited to share how we are developing student voice, learning design & assessment, success criteria and feedback that moves learners forward as part of the annotating process. We were a little hesitant to share our learning because it is very much an evolving process, but we accepted the challenge to move out of our comfort zone. Below is the rough cut of what will become part of a film used by the professional practice team from our Department of Education. Well done to James, Aaliyah and Sophia for being brave enough to describe how they developed rubrics and use their Journey Journals to reflect on their learning. Thanks to Julie, Cathie and Jarrod for making the recording process easy for us.

We have been encouraging students to build their literacy “Learning Stories” – a reflection of learning we are calling Journey Journals. Entries are made most days, and help students build a better understanding of their habits, strengths, challenges and achievements. These are not compulsory, graded, or even shared unless students wish to.  We use five learning lenses (credit to Monte Syrie) to frame our progress: learning targets; growth; proficiency; world; and self  and the sentence stems below to prompt reflection.

Earlier in the year a student, Heath wrote about creating a skilled reader rubric with pre-service teachers:

In class we have been making rubrics for our learning. I think our most important one so far has been “Being a skilled reader for an audience”. We made this rubric after we picked a picture fiction book we thought younger students would enjoy. We read it with pre-service teachers and they recorded us. After that they picked us off one by one to ask us what we did well and didn’t do well on the rubric.

We made the rubric using a really quick LAUNCH Cycle to create some questions on the sheet to say if our reading skills were advanced or had areas of concern. Some of the goals are “able to read story fluently to enhance the enjoyment for listeners” and another one “Correct use of commas, full stops and brackets (punctuation). Can also emphasise key words. So now we can practice well because we know now what we need to improve on so we can become a skilled reader.

4 thoughts on “Classroom Snapshot Video

1. Great stuff, Abe. You, James, Aaliyah, and Sophia represented your shared learning and experience well. The video and post exemplify the importance of process and collaboration, and I’m sure many will benefit from your efforts (I certainly have). Thank you.

1. Thanks, Scott. Appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment. This is totally not something that I would normally agree to do! I’ve always been more inclined to keep my head down and go under the radar but I was starting to feel a little isolated. So this year I committed to transforming my practice by putting kids at the centre of their learning, and sharing more of what we do in the classroom is a part of that.

We are about to switch to Google Classroom and go 1:1 with Chromebooks in our unit, so I’m glad to have found your blog. I enjoyed the Google Keep post, and I’m keen to start familiarizing myself and integrating more tech tools into our learning and feedback systems. I think it will make so much of what we do more streamlined. I love the mini lesson cache idea. We’ve been using Padlet at times for shared documents, has Google Keep replaced your need to use Padlet?

Once again, thanks for stopping by!

2. Abe, I’ll definitely be following along as you all explore 1:1 Chromebooks as a learning tool. I think Keep works for individual organizing and small group collaboration, but it can get clumsy and complex for larger groups. Depending on the activity I use Padlet and Google Suite for large group collaboration.

Padlet works for bigger groups in situations where we want to be able to see lots of moving parts. When many people are working all at once and we’re brainstorming or organizing ideas, I tend to use Padlet.

When we are trying to crowdsource something like notes or research, I use a Google Doc that everyone can edit. Often I’ll assign some jigsaw research on a subject to number of small groups and have them share their findings in a designated section of shared Doc. The finished product is a complete set of research results that every group can comment on and benefit from.

Perhaps that’s more of an answer than you were looking for, but I hope it sparks some possibilities for you. I can imagine you using blank rubric templates for students to fill in for their various learning activities.

Thanks for sharing!

3. No, that’s an awesome explanation, Thanks, Scott. I love the jigsaw research and shared document idea. I’m really looking forward to putting some of this in place. Cheers!